Sydney Raley, 15, clocked herself out as a hero when she logged in for her Saturday shift at a McDonald’s near Eden Prairie, just a few miles from Minneapolis. “The day was pretty normal, except for the coffee and drinks. It was all perfectly normal when we got to the lunch rush.
She said after giving a customer some food from the drive-through, Sydney went back to the window to inform her that the rest of her food was on its way. Sydney saw that the woman was choking on a chicken nugget.” She was coughing like crazy, and I noticed she was gagging.”. Sydney said that her daughter was in the passenger seat, and she looked very scared. “Oh, no, she’s choking,” I knew immediately. Sydney told her manager and the woman’s daughter to dial 911. She quickly jumped through the window to assist the woman. Sydney said that she was 11 years old when she attended a Red Cross babysitter course. She learned the Heimlich maneuver and “all that training instantly kicked in.”
The maneuver didn’t work the first couple of times Sydney tried, so she called on a bystander to assist.”We worked together and were successful in removing the food from her throat.” Sydney stated. The woman was finally able to breathe again after the nugget was released. The woman was shocked but grateful for Sydney’s help. Two Edina Police Department officers arrived on the scene and checked on the victim. They also offered a reward to the teenager. They said, “Congratulations, you’re an amazing lifesaver. You’re a hero.”. They gave Sydney $100 from a fund that they used to reward people who do good works in the community.
Sydney was diagnosed with autism when she was younger. “We always worried it was going to be a challenge for her, and it’s done a complete 180”, quoted his father tom. “It’s actually been a blessing and a gift at this point. All the things we worried about never happened.”